Best Breakfasts for Slimming Down
Breakfast eaters are usually thinner than those who skip their a.m. meal, but some breakfasts are better than others to help you slim down.
The latest studies show that a hi-pro, breakfast with about 20-30 grams protein (or 25% of total calories) may better stave off hunger and carb cravings throughout the day compared to cereal, toast, pancakes or other carb-rich breakfasts.
To help start your day right, we have some of our super fast best breakfasts for weight loss that take less than a minute or two to make. These breakfasts follow the meal plan guidelines in our new book, The Real Skinny, and have up to 400 calories, provide 20-30 grams protein and fiber to aid weight loss. If you’re on the road, we’ve also included some of the best bets from fast food outlets.
1. 1 cup cooked oatmeal with 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
2. Nonfat or lowfat Greek yogurt topped with fresh or frozen fruit (unsweetened) and 1/4 cup low-fat granola
3. Hi-pro whole grain cereal with skim or 1% milk and fresh fruit
4. 1 cup 1% cottage cheese with fresh or frozen fruit and sprinkled with cinnamon and chopped nuts
5. 2 slices Hi-pro whole grain toast with nut butter and 1 hard-boiled egg
6. 2 eggs + 1 egg white scrambled with veggies with 1 toasted Light whole wheat English muffin and piece of fruit (If you want to keep cholesterol levesl in check, use 1/4 cup egg white substitutes in place of each whole egg or 2 egg whites for each whole egg)
7. My favorite protein pancakes, made with eggs, nut butter and banana. Here’s the protein pancake recipe.
3 Best Fast Food Best Breakfasts
1. Cosi’s Spinach Florentine breakfast wrap, 334 calories.
2. Starbucks Spinach & Feta Breakfast Wraps, 290 calories
3. Dunkin Donuts Southwest Veggie Breakfast Burrito with small Latte, 410 calories
For more ideas, we have 10 more best breakfasts from RD Patricia Bannan.
–Julie Upton, MS, RD, CSSD