How to Prevent Kidney Stones with everyday foods
For a while there I didn't know where these painful things came from or how I could stop them. Then I read this Phew!!!! Good Read. - From Shantee Tyler, blogger for Infinity Health and Wellness Center.
How to prevent kidney stones with everyday foodsFriday, March 29, 2013 by: Ethan A. Huff, staff writer
(NaturalNews) Passing them is described by those who have experienced their terror as one of the worst pains known to man, exceeding even the pain of childbirth. But kidney stones do not have to be a constant worry on your mind, especially if you are taking proactive nutritional steps on a daily basis to dissolve and eliminate any that might be cropping up. Here are a few helpful tips for preventing kidney stones with everyday foods and dietary interventions:
1) Drink plenty of clean water. This point simply cannot be overstated, as pure, fluoride-free water truly is the master cleanser when it comes to maintaining clean kidneys that are free of stones and other toxic buildup. Drinking at least four liters of water every day will not only help prevent kidney stones from forming, but also quickly eliminate any small stones that may have already formed. Some health practitioners also recommend drinking distilled water to prevent and flush kidney stones.
"The single most important step for preventing kidney stones is to drink plenty of fluids each day," explains a 2001 issue of Healthwire. "Water is best and most physicians recommend three to four quarts daily. Patients who do no more than increase their fluid intake cut their rate of stone recurrence by 50 percent."
2) Add fresh lemon, lime and apple cider vinegar to daily beverages. Taking this a step further, adding fresh lemon or lime juice, or apple cider vinegar, to your beverages throughout the day will help alkalize your body, effectively blocking the formation of kidney stones. These alkalizing juices will also help quickly dissolve any existing stones that might be present in your kidneys, keeping them clean and stone-free.
"At the first symptom of stone pain, mix 2 oz of organic olive oil with 2 oz of organic lemon juice," writes Dr. Ed Group on his Natural Health & Organic Living Blog about how to eliminate kidney stones naturally. "Drink it straight and follow with a 12 oz glass of purified water. Wait 30 minutes. Then, squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon in 12 ounces of purified water, add 1 tablespoon of organic raw apple cider vinegar and drink. Repeat the lemon juice, water and apple cider vinegar recipe every hour until symptoms improve."
3) Eat foods that are naturally high in calcium. This point may run contrary to your existing line of thinking as far as kidney stones are concerned, but natural calcium is actually beneficial for preventing kidney stones. According to a recent study published in the Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, dietary calcium actually binds with calcium oxalate, the substance that makes up most kidney stones, and crystallizes and flushes it from the body before it has a chance to form into stones.
Because of this, many experts recommend eating more foods that are naturally high in calcium to prevent kidney stones. Based on actual calcium absorption rates, the best foods in this category include leafy greens, cruciferous vegetables, nuts and seeds, and raw, grass-fed milk and butter. As a side note, studies have found the exclusively vegetarian diets are linked to higher rates of kidney stones, so be sure to include saturated fats from coconut or palm oils to help balance your fat intake if you do not eat meat products.
4) Supplement with magnesium citrate, B vitamins every day. One of the first things that hospital ERs administer to patients admitted for kidney stone pain is magnesium citrate, a natural mineral substance that counteracts the oxalate minerals in many foods. For maximum kidney stone prevention, be sure to eat plenty of magnesium-rich foods every day -- these include avocados, broccoli, raw cacao, beans, bananas, and lentils -- and take a high-quality magnesium citrate supplement like Natural Vitality's Natural Magnesium Calm. Also, it is recommended to supplement with a whole food-based B vitamin complex supplement like MegaFood's Balanced B Complex every day to prevent kidney stone formation.
5) Stop drinking soda pop. One of the worst foods you can consume for kidney stones is soda pop beverages, which greatly acidify the body due to their high phosphoric acid content. There is a lot of misinformation out there about soda and its effect on kidney stones -- a 2010 study actually purported that diet soda can help prevent kidney stones (http://www.naturalnews.com/028814_diet_soda_kidney_stones.html) -- but the truth of the matter is that regular consumption of soda pop is a direct contributor to kidney stones.
6) Stick to a 'low oxalate' diet. Though most of the previous recommendations will help naturally counteract the effects of oxalates in your body, you can also eliminate high oxalate foods from your diet if you have a propensity for kidney stones. Such foods include black tea, grains, and certain nuts and vegetables. You can learn more about a "low oxalate" diet by visiting: http://www.upmc.com.